Monday, March 30, 2009

Things to improve in 2009

I guess one of the immediately thing is to improve on my vocabulary. I am not sure if it is due to Malaysia education system or just me. I found that I have very limited vocabulary, it makes it especially hard for me to express myself in words..

Recently I read through a suicide note of a Singaporean doctor in Melbourne... Just a short note to farewell from his families and friends.. I found that I hardly recognise some of the words he used.. It is pretty embarrassing for a working adult that already on the job for more than 10 years. I guess due to the nature of the job, I seldom have the express myself in written. What's more I will try by all means to avoid myself from having to write a presentation or report to anyone. I guess it is time to quit being an 'ostrich" and face it with courage.

I thought it might be a good idea to take note of what are the new vocab that I have learned.

Jettison = Verb: 1. Throw away, of something emcumbering 2. Throw as from an aeroplane.

brevity = Noun : 1. The use of brief expressions, 2. The attribute of being brief and fleeting.

resentment = Noun : A feeling of deep and bitter anger and ill-will

stemmed = Adjective : 1. Having a stem or stems or having a stem as specified, often userd in combination " stemmed goblets", "long-stemmed roses" 2. (of plants) producing a well-developed stem above ground. 3. Having the stem removed "Stemmed berries"

Stem = Verb : 1. Grow out of, have root in, originate in " The increase in the national debt stems from the last war" 2. Cause to point inward "Stem your skis" 3. Stop the flow of a liquid "stem the tide" 4. Remove the stem from "For automatic natural language processing, the words must be stemmed"

utter = Verb : 1. Articulate, either verbally or with a cry, shout or noise " he uttered a curse" 2. Express audibly; utter sounds ( not necessarily words) " he uttered strange sounds that nobody could understand" 3. Express in Speech 4. Put into circulation "utter counterfeit currency"
Adjective : 1. Without qualification, used informally as ( often pejorative) intensifiers " utter nonsense" 2. Complete "utter seriousness"

Perpetuate = Verb: 1. Cause to continue or prevail " Prepetuate a myth"

Trait= Noun : 1. A distinguishing feature of your personal nature.

unsavory = Adjective : 1. Morally offensive "an unsavory reputation"; " an unsavory scandal"

Repulse= Verb : 1. Force or drive back 2. Be Repellent to; cause aversion in 3. Cause to move back by force or influence.
Noun : 1. An instance of driving away or warding off.

Reared= Verb : Stand up on the hind legs, of quadrupeds "The horse reared in terror" 2. Provide for and care during childhood 3. Rise up 4. Cause to rise up 5. Contruct, build or erect.

Perpertrate= Verb : Perform an act, usually with a negative connotation "perpetrate a crime"

Connotation = Noun : 1. What you must know in order to determine the reference of an expression 2. An idea that is implied or suggested.

Crux = Noun : 1. A small conspicuous constellation in the southern hemisphere in the milky wayt near Centaurus.
Noun : The most important point.

dogmata = Noun : 1. A religious doctrine that is proclaimed as true without proof. 2. A doctrine or code of beliefs accepted as authoritative " he believed all the Marxist dogma"

Facade = Noun : 1. The face or front of a building 2. A showy mispresentation intended to conceal something unpleasant.




2 comments:

Kancil said...

wa... so chim... i only know 1 or 2. :(

MelPen said...

wahaha... All those I dun even know them before this :)